Long social isolation, work, and routine fatigue lead to increased anxiety and depressive states.
For example, the lack of the opportunity to grab a Slot Madness no deposit bonus can throw avid gamblers off balance. In turn, others react violently to a missed bus or a discount. And serious upheavals like conflicts, financial problems, and global instability lead to apathy, irritability, anger, and powerlessness. How to cope with mental overload?
A sense of humor is a tested way to handle difficult situations. It helps people enjoy life, reduce interpersonal tension, maintain good relationships, and overcome gloom. Have you ever thought about why witty people are so admirable? Their jokes add charm to conversations, even when people discuss boring topics. That’s because a sense of fun is one of the most attractive personality features and a way to look at the situation in a different light.
Reasons to Smile and Laugh Against All Odds
Why should we consider laughing to overcome life’s concerns? Research shows that even an artificially created grin evokes joy, and watching comedies reduces anxiety and stimulates optimism. Try to smile, and pleasant thoughts will come to mind that will take care of themselves. Do you need more arguments for giggling in the face of madness? Here they are:
- Humor contributes to the production of endorphins, the “hormones of joy,” that allow people to feel happiness.
- Increased heart muscle contraction during laughter prolongs inhaling. It makes exhaling shorter and more powerful, clearing the lungs and strengthening the respiratory system.
- Joking skills help our organism increase antibody production, boosting the immune system that fights harmful bacteria and viruses.
- When you laugh, blood flow becomes more active in the brain, shaping your ideas.
- Humor develops steadiness in the face of stressful events.
Maintaining peace of mind costs considerable time and enormous effort when life becomes more like a psychological thriller. Jokes make overcoming difficulties easier and allow you to quickly establish contact with others, winning a favorable attitude toward yourself. Everyone probably remembers many situations when a sense of humor has defused tension and motivated opponents to reach common ground.
Who Should Consider Laughing More Frequently?
A study in the late 1980s found that subordinates who thought their bosses had a good sense of humor were 15% more satisfied with their work and 27% more motivated than those run by nerds. Spirit is also crucial for romantic relationships. In 1996, psychologist Robert Provine analyzed 3,745 partner advertisements. He found that women preferred men who could make them laugh.
In 2010, American scientists recruited two groups of older volunteers. The first test team was prescribed humorous therapy, making pensioners tell jokes and funny stories daily for two months. At the same time, the second category continued to live their normal lives. By the end of the experiment, the regularly laughing participants felt 42% better than at the beginning. Moreover, they were 32% happier compared to the control group. In addition, their chronic pain and sense of loneliness have decreased.
Types of Humor Regarding Personality
In 2003, Rod Martin and Patricia Doris, American psychologists, published a questionnaire determining the humor inherent in specific personality types. Generally, they identified four kinds of making fun. So, look through them and find your footing:
- Affiliative humor is based on universally funny jokes that are understandable to many people.
- The self-sustaining type means having the ability to laugh at yourself and the absurd around you.
- The aggressive kind comes down to sarcasm, angry criticism, mockery of other people, and veiled insults.
- Self-deprecating laughter is self-defense used to gain approval or protect yourself from more cruel ridicule.
Most people combine all types of humor but have one predominant type. Knowledge of your main kind is vital because not all jokes are equally helpful in building a social life and improving mental health. For example, a penchant for aggressive humor can quickly destroy a friendship or romantic relationship. And self-deprecating behavior increases stress levels.
How to Develop Humor and Save Positive Mindset
Laughter helps you distance yourself from disturbing things and talk about them as if from outside. And those consuming rather than producing humor (watching stand-ups, flipping through memes, viewing funny videos, etc.) also get a portion of painkillers for their emotions. How to improve your joking skills and overcome hardships with a smiling face?
- Learn to see the comic by relying on behavioral norms and recognizing deviations. You can make fun of stupidity, laziness, careerism, greed, and other human vices. But avoid going to the person when mocking their flaws.
- Use associations to find common ground between dramatically different phenomena. Making paradoxical analogies helps generate witty jokes and look at the world from another angle.
- Don’t be afraid of the absurd. Said at the right moment, “impenetrable stupidity” can defuse the situation. People with a sense of humor will notice a logical mistake and appreciate your ingenuity.
- Try to rhyme. Good-natured banter in the form of poems is long remembered and demonstrates the author’s versatility.
- Expand your horizons and enrich your vocabulary by reading books and communicating with intelligent people.
- Fight the enemies of fun and never allow yourself to be discouraged.
The pressure builds, sleep becomes more disturbed, and the expectation of good news remains somewhere in the past. Still, these and other negatives are null if a sense of fun is your thing. It serves as a buffer between our tender psyche and ruinous challenges. So, please smile, gentlemen, since all the foolishness and evil of the earth are done with a severe expression on their faces.